Tuesday, July 12, 2011

10 Years From Now...

We far too often take things for granted while we have them, and it's not until we lose those things that we value that we see the importance and impact that it serves in our lives.


I'll admit, when I was younger I used to fret and make an argument out of anything. Things that did matter to me, but more often things that didn't matter and just wanted to serve right. But, there is always that eye-opener in all of our lives that make us see a clearer vision of what truly matters, and that all other petty and self-less remarks and arguments serve as nothing but negative outbursts that directly reflect our negative output not only to ourselves, but life.


It was at this realization and time that I started reading books to try to figure out my self identity as to why I was allowing negative feelings control my actions and mold to who I was starting to become as a person. The highlighter was my best friend, and my pen was the right hand man... I started writing and highlighting key points that either what I did/do (pink) and what I wanted to become (yellow), and wrote on the side why I thought I did those, and/or why I wanted to change or become better; for who and to what.


After you start doing this for a while you truly see a mirror reflection of who you are. And after a while all your questions for the yellow, for who am I doing this for, becomes only for one reason, yourself.


Never in life should you do something simply because it is the right thing to do (although we hear this way to often) but we should do something because not only is it for the betterment of many but because it is that you want to.


Petty fights and arguments turn into conversation of what the balance between what I want, and what it is that the other person wants. And more times than not you'll realize that there is a common ground, but that it is easier to fight to win rather than seek out a middle ground with humility, compassion, and insight (to learn not only how bad you want something, but to understand that the other person(s) might want it just as bad).


Take a look around... your friends, your family, your significant other, and notice their behaviors. Notice what is that always makes you mad, or most importantly, happy while in their presence and when questioning "is this really worth the fight" really ask yourself, "10 years from now will this matter."


10 years from now will this matter?


Will that fight be worth a friendship, a disagreement with a family member, a break up... that one question before I open my mouth is something that I live to on an every day basis and has truly changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment